I support and protect all my meterial through the Creative Commons - read more here
"What I previously knew about insects trapped in amber was that they were future dinosaurs. What I didn’t know until recently that it also made for stunning art, these ancient insects preserved in death for millions of years, with only a thin layer of hardened amber separating our world from theirs. I’m still holding out for future velociraptors but I don’t mind admiring these tiny contained universes in the meantime. (Ian Brooks)
My picture is found in the following books:
- Trend Book 2011+, a source of new inspiration, Amber, art and design Gdansku Mayor's Office, Stawomir Fijatkowski, Download an online version here
- In Praise Of Bees: A cabinet of curiosities, Elizabeth Birchall , 2014, ISBN 9781846891922, See page 21 here
- History of Life, Richard Cowen, 2013, ISBN-13: 978-0470671726 See the page online
- Fossil Insects: An introduction to palaeoentomology, David Penney, James E Jepson, 2014, ISBN 978-0-9574530-6-7, Page 197
- Bugs Big & Small: God Made Them All, Will Zinke, 2014, ISBN: 0890518351, See page 69 here
- Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are, Sebastian Seung, 2012, ISBN 0547508182, See the page online
- Rav. fra strand til smykke / Bernstein, vom strand bis zum shmuck, Frants Kristensen, 2013, ISBN: 978-87-99272-0-2
- Bernstein auf Fanø, Von Zufallsfund zur Inklusensammlung, Tipps von Hobbysammlern für Hobbysammler, Birgit & Günter Klug, 2015, ISBN: 978-3-86386-887-1
- An Introduction to Molecular Evolution and Phylogenetics, Lindell Bromham, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 9780198736363, See page 172 here
PowerPoints and articles:
- www.pbertner.wordpress.com / The Spider Assassins (Archaeidae)
- www.eoearth.org / Geology: Fossils
- Uninvited guests to the proteomics picnic / Gary B Smejkal / Harvard School
- Fossil Focus: Arthropod–plant interactions / Ben J. Slater
- International Amber Association (IAA)
English version: http://www.amber.org.pl/pliki/baltic_amber.pdf
German version: http://www.amber.org.pl/pliki/der_baltische_bernstein.pdf
- Bursztynowe inspiracje /Amber inspiration)
Polish version of the book:
- Measuring and Modeling Ancient and New Pollen / James H. Wandersee (Louisiana State University), Renee M. Clary (Mississippi State University) / NSTA 2011
- The Real Jurassic Park: The Isolation of Proteins from Organisms Preserved in Amber Inclusions for 40 Million Years / Gary Smejkal / Harvard Catalyst, (HC-LITT) / Pressure Symposium, Harvard University, May 21, 2010
- Taphonomy, Brian O’Meara / EEB464 Fall 2011
- Evidence of evolution, Lumen Learning Biology for nonmajors course Evidence of Evolution lecture
WikiPlays / Youtube:
Inspired by my picture,
Matt Davidson has written this poem.
Suspended in Time
Your last moment,
that fragment of history
is captured in your tree-sap tomb;
your body suspended in amber.
I am in awe at first.
The clarity, the beauty
of the light as it shines through
your body immaculate despite
the millennia gone by.
Then I realise as I gaze at you,
that your final moments were
not so pretty; failing to escape,
your lungs began to fill and stick.
Were you trying to feast on
its sweetness? Or were you just
caught in the resin tide,
as your tiny feet traversed the bark
The amber around you is like a
portal, a wormhole tunneling
through time to project a vivid
image of the past.
Who knows what you saw in
your life? Perhaps the giant
leathery feet of
More than likely though,
you were focused on your business.
Working, digging, eating…